Jay E. Bowen, DO, is a board-certified physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry), and sports and pain medicine. He is also certified in the use of Prolozone Therapy for the treatment of chronic pain. Dr. Bowen currently serves as the Medical Director of New Jersey Regenerative Institute in Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, and has been working with patients for more than 25 years.
Dr. Bowen manages all aspects of pain and performs a variety of interventional procedures, including epidural, facet, and sacroiliac joint pain treatments. He also specializes in delivering medical ozone through methods such as systemic HiDose ozone/UBI, insufflation, and local injections.
Dr. Bowen completed his Doctor of Osteopathy at the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine and received his board-certification by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Not only is Dr. Bowen heavily involved in clinical research, but he was also the Sports Medicine Fellowship Coordinator at Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation. Dr. Bowen completed his own fellowship at UMDNJ-Newark/Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation.
With decades of pain management experience, Dr. Bowen’s interests include regenerative medicine procedures such as platelet rich plasma (PRP), prolotherapy, shockwave therapy and ozone. He is also passionate about sports medicine, diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound, chronic tendon disorders, sports injuries, shoulder biomechanics, and medical education. He is also one of the founders of DataBiologics, a company focused on collecting data on the use of regenerative medicine in treating orthopedic conditions.
Dr. Bowen is well-known in the medical community and has even been featured on television and the radio. In January 2018, he was appointed to the New Jersey Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.
Awards, Achievements and Articles
- Appointed to the New Jersey Council on Physical Fitness and Sports by the state of New Jersey
- Certificate of Excellence from the American Academy of Ozonotherapy
- Awarded Top Doctor on Findatopdoc.com
- Awarded Patient’s Choice and Compassionate Doctor 2009-12 by Vitals Patients Choice
- Recognized as one of the “Top Physicians” from 2003-05 and 2009-11 by the Consumer Research Council of America
- Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, UMDNJ-Newark from 1999-present
- Medical Director, Physical Rehabilitation Services at East Orange Hospital from 2012-present
- Authored and/or Coauthored 16 articles and 11 book chapters
- New Jersey Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
- American Academy of Ozonotherapy (AAOT), founding member
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R)
- American Academy of Orthopeadic Medicine (AAOM)
- American Osteopathic College of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- New Jersey State Medical Society- Union County
- New Jersey Medical Society Mentor Drug Monitor